Monday, January 14, 2008

top five...

i am always making up top five lists after watching High Fidelity.

for some reason i have been thinking of my early teens.
i would bury myself in my room, stuffing my father and stepmom out, out, out.
for hours i would lay on the floor beside the stereo, listening to my cds. pouring over the album jackets and lyrics trying to patiently extract the source of inspiration and devotion. hours and hours laying next to fiona apple's hate and kurt cobain's melancholy .
i had my middle class kid angst and wholeheartedly thought that only my cds sang my angst perfectly.
i do do love the music still.
cd's that made adolescence just bearable:

fiona apple - tidal (came in handy for my many heartaches in high school. i mostly pined hopelessly. i was a piner)

nirvana - mtv live (suburban angst, whoa!!!)

alanis morrisette - jagged little pill (standard girl angst. fuck you boy who did know that i loved you from a far!! my creepy stares in orchestra should have been a dead give away that i yearned for you!!! now you're going out with that pretty blonde chick who is a year younger than me. WHY HAS GOD PUNISHED ME?! -more or less the meat of my journal entries then)

jewel - pieces of you (i cannot believed i am admitting that on a public forum)

white zombie - astrofreak ( i did not go more than a few days without listening to this and was from the influence of a young chris konowal - one of my first romances)

*submissions are welcomed*

2 comments:

christi said...

Bush - Sixteen Stone
No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
Janet Jackson - Design of a Decade & janet.

this gave me a good mix of angst, Gavin Rossdale's gorgeous face, happy girl rock, and the entirety of my sex education. Fiona Apple made me feel "deep" and Bush made me feel like I was cool for rocking my knockoff shiny Vans & to the chin parted down the middle hairdo.
this was more jr. high...

high school i listened the shit out of Rufus Wainwright's self titled, Ben Folds Five, Coldplay, Travis, The Band, Rage Against the Machine & Sublime. My Geo Storm with the discman plugged in to the cigarette lighter rocked out so hard. So hard.

Anonymous said...

living off of $50 dollars every two weeks from my dignified concession stand job at Lorain Palace Civic Center, I was relegated to making mix tapes off of 107.9 The End (remember that?), and then, after they shut down after playing an entire 24 hours of "It's the End of The World as We Know It", I had to rely on friends' music tastes in their cars (mainly John Zaborowski, Teresa Mikulan, and Mr. Chis Konowal for myself, too.)

The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Rancid - Rancid

Cake - Fashion Nugget & Prolonging the Magic

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Sarah McLachlan - "Adia" single (on cassette tape!)

how strange to think today's teenagers don't know the magic of having that split second of listening to the radio, recognizing the first two notes of a favorite song, and running to press the 'record' button to make a mix signigicant to that broadcast moment. before you know it, these youngins won't know how to churn butter, either!