Friday, November 9, 2007

non-negotiables

kate and i got into one of our winding conversations a couple weeks ago. parents, relationship, future travels, binge drinking. the norm.
well fell into the topic of non-negotiables. to clarify what we mean about non-negotiables: the traits or interests that one finds absolutely essential to a romantic entanglement at any level or the traits or interest that completely and totally removes a romantic entanglement from possibility. deal breakers, shallow or not, our personal minimum requirements in a possible mate.

Kate's:
-no "fuzzy" teeth. "Fuzzy" teeth are based on Kate's discretion. I don't have fuzzy teeth, but since I'm not wooing Kate, that matters little.
- Cannot in any way shape or form be a Steelers fan. not even a little.

Me:
* No belly piercings. the belly button must be untouched from hoops, stubs, danglingly things, the whole shebang. never in the the present or past.
* Hands. I have a certain hand requirement. I will just say that really long, skinny, alien fingers are an automatic ejection from the romance arena.

I have some other non-negotiables, but none as static and rigid as the above two.
Kate and I both agreed that physical attractiveness can easily be trump by personality and intellect.
*I must admit that I prefer my love interest to be an intellectual and perhaps a few levels above me... and they must tolerate Prince, Neil Diamond and William Shatner

From that conversation I wondered, what does my non-negotiables say about me? What are other peoples non-negotaibles?
feedback highly encouraged

UPDATE
Christi's non-negotiables:
*neo-cons and most republicans
*people shorter than me
*boys who use more beauty products than i do

I could see how height could be an issue for you my leggy love. I rarely find a gent shorter than my 5'3", so that stays off my list.
I do have neo-cons and republics in the middle category. I guess that I couldn't bring my self to discount a large amount of the male population. But then I want my man queer friendly, so I guess that removes a decent amount of the population anyway.
does bellybutton piercings count as beauty product? i really have a problem with that

3 comments:

christi said...

*neo-cons and most republicans
*people shorter than me
*boys who use more beauty products than i do

christi said...

i agree on the bellybutton adornment, although i can't remember the last time i saw someone who wasn't:
A)gay
B)from south jersey/south beach/las vegas
C)using egregious amounts of self tanner and/or hair gel
or
D)all of the above
sporting such a hideous body adornment. the thought of a man with such a terrible thing gives me the creeps.

Dalbanese said...

*pizza breath (all other bad breath - be it morning, garlic and onion, soot and poo - tolerated, but post-pizza smooching just don't work)
*there's a look, can't quite describe it, a certain "I'm insecure so I'll act cute but really end up looking more insecure" look
*more to come as I ponder the next few days - I'll play out some scenarios, and if they don't end right away, then they don't fit in this category. Should the daydream pass in a blink or two, you'll hear about it